We want to catch diseases early
Just like humans, our pets face a rising number of health challenges that can negatively impact their wellbeing and quality of life.
- Obesity – affects an estimated 56% of dogs and 60% of cats in the USA and is the #1 threat to pet health
- Diabetes – which, when uncontrolled, can cause blindness, seizures and kidney failure in pets
- Chronic Kidney Disease – the #1 killer of cats over age five
- Osteoarthritis – impacts up to 50% of all dogs and cats, causing them pain and even lameness
Experts around the world agree a preventive health approach is key for improving the wellbeing and quality of life of humans and animals alike. But how?
Preventive health means taking measures to:
- Prevent disease before it appears. This means, for example, staying up to date with vaccinations and eating an appropriate and balanced diet.
- Identify health problems as early as possible. For the general public, this means attending regular health screenings or dental check-ups, so you can take action to manage problems before they get worse. And for researchers, this can mean taking an inside look at the biomarkers that can be early signs of disease.
So how do we get there?
We are using artificial intelligence (AI) to spot trends in predictors of disease – known as biomarkers – to develop algorithms that can ultimately predict disease earlier than clinical onset. This will enable us to help veterinarians provide more tailored, efficient care, enable a more holistic approach to pet healthcare, and, ultimately, deliver our Purpose: A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS™ .
Harnessing the power of AI to tackle the #1 killer of cats over five
A new tool – the first of many Mars Petcare tools that will predict disease - recently launched and tackles the #1 cause of death for cats over five: chronic kidney disease (CKD).
Available through Antech Diagnostic’s reference laboratory network in the U.S., the RenalTechTM tool is an AI-driven model that predicts CKD up to two years before it clinical diagnosis. Leveraging the anonymized medical data from more than 150,000 Banfield Pet Hospital® patient visits over 20 years, RenalTechTM can predict CKD with greater than 95% accuracy.
Described as a paradigm shift for veterinary medicine, this tool allows veterinarians to move from disease detection to disease prediction, giving veterinarians and pet owners the knowledge to implement personalized care plans as early as possible – improving the lives of cats and redefining preventive care.
We are uncovering ground-breaking insights like this to enable a new era of proactive, preventive health care for pets – building the future of pet health together, today.
For more information, download our factsheet.